Sunday, September 9, 2007

Chronology in The Sound and the Fury

Reading Benjy's section both the way it was published and in chronological order are the same story, but read so completely differently. The first time I read Benjy's chapter in the book i was lost. I did not understand it and only really started to get it after rereading and moving on to figure out what happened around his story. The way the story is published really shows Benjy's inability to have power toward time and events. He flows in and out of periods of time. In the chronological order of the story, Benjy seems as though he is an observer, and although as a reader I could still tell he had developmental issues, having his writing flow better gave him a more powerful voice as a narrator. I think his descriptiveness really shown through better when I read the story in chronological order.

No comments: